We have all done it, gone to type in your windows 10 password and it has not worked, or you have completely forgotten what the password is. In this article I will show you 5 easy ways to reset forgotten windows 10 passwords.
How To Reset Forgotten Windows 10 Passwords
Using the methods below you will be able to easily reset any local windows 10 password or any microsoft account password. If you are still having issues recovering your windows 10 password after reading this guide you can always post a comment at the bottom of the article for more help.
Listed below are all the methods we have which will enable you to recover your forgotten windows 10 password. I am sure method 1 will work 99% of the time so I recommend you start there.
- Method 1 – Lazesoft Recovery Tool Create a bootable USB / DVD which will be used to reset the forgotten windows 10 password
- Method 2 – Reset Windows 10 Password Via Command Prompt By logging on to the system with another user account you can reset passwords via the command prompt
- Method 3 – Reset Your Microsoft Account Online By logging on to the microsoft website you can reset your account
- Method 4 – Reset Windows 10 Password With MSDart MSDart is an application from Microsoft which helps users recover windows 10
- Method 5 – Other Recovery Methods List of other recovery methods
Reset Windows 10 Password With MSDart
Lazesoft Windows 10 Password Reset Tool
Using an application called “lazesoft recover my password” we can create a bootable CD or USB disk to recover our forgotten windows 10 password. Below I will show you the steps to create this disk and how to use it.
- Download the Lazesoft password recovery tool by clicking here and then click on “Free Download Now”
- When the file has downloaded double click on the downloaded file and follow the prompts to install the application. Double click on the Lazesoft icon on the desktop.
- Next click on “Burn Bootable CD/USB Disk Now”
- In the drop down box under “Please select the windows version of the target machine(Machine you want to reset the forgotten password)” Select Windows 10 32 bit / 64 bit and click next
- Now select the media you want to create, select CD/DVD or USB then select which drive that media is on and click start. The bootable media will now create. Note you can also create a bootable ISO file which can be used to mount on systems such as VMware / Microsoft hyper-v
- Now insert the media you created in step 5 in to the machine you want to recover the password for and power the machine on and boot to that media (This might require you going in to the system BIOS and changing some settings.) Once booted to the media you will see the screen below, Highlight “Lazesoft Live CD” and hit enter.
- On the next screen make sure “Reset Windows Password” is selected and click next. This tool can also be used to recover your windows 10 product key which can be useful if your machine has crashed and wont boot in to windows.
- You will now be prompted saying you are running the free version of the tool which is only licensed for non-commercial use. Click Yes
- In the top drop down menu select the windows 10 system you want to recover the password for (If you have more than one operating system they will all be shown here, make sure you select the correct operating system.) Make sure “Reset Local Password” is selected and click next.
- The next screen will show you all the user accounts on the system. Now select the account you want to reset the windows 10 password for and click next. In this window you can see which user accounts have administrator access.
- On the next screen click on reset / unlock. If you want to change the name and description of this user account you can.
- You should now see a prompt saying “The password reset successfully” Click OK and then click on finish
- Remove the media from your machine and reboot your machine. Your machine will now boot to the windows 10 login screen.
- At the login screen select the account we just reset and login using no password. You will now be able to login to the desktop.
I work in computer support and I have used this method to reset forgotten windows 10 password many times and it has worked every time, If you have tried this method please post how you got on in a comment below. Thanks
Reset Windows 10 Password Via Command Prompt
For this method to work you need to be able to log in to the Windows 10 desktop as another user with administrator access to the system.
- Log in to the system as another user with administrator access
- Click start type in cmd right click on command prompt and select run as administrator
- If you get a prompt from user account control click yes
- Now type the following command Net user %username% %password% so if the username is administrator and you want to reset the password to 123456 the command isnet user Administrator 123456You should see “The command completed successfully” if you get an error message this is usually because the user you logged on to the system with does not have administrator rights.
Reset Your Microsoft Account Online
If you are using a microsoft account to log on to your machine then it is very easy to recover your password.
- Visit the microsoft recover password link on a machine with internet access
- Enter your email address for the account you log on to windows 10 with, then click next
- On the “Why can’t you sign in?” page select I forgot my password and then click next
- Microsoft will then e-mail you a password reset link, Simply click on the link and follow the prompts.
- If you are unable to recover your password try following the steps in Lazesoft Recovery Tool
Reset Windows 10 Password With MSDart
MSDart (Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset) is an application from microsoft which can be used to recover windows 10 machines with issues such as, can not boot / password issues / system corruption and much more.
MSDart is not a free application and is only available for Microsoft Volume customers. I have used this application many times and I highly recommend it. Using the locksmith application you can reset forgotten windows 10 passwords. To use MSDart follow these steps
- Download the microsoft dart application from microsoft volume licensing portal and create a bootable media DVD or USB
- Insert the media in to your machine and boot to the media
- On the main menu click on locksmith
- Now select the user account you want to reset the password for and enter a new password two times and click next
- Restart your system and log in with the account you just rest the password to.
Other Recovery Methods
Listed below are other recovery methods you can use to recover your windows 10 password.
PCUnlocker – PCUnlocker is a software application you can use to create a bootable media to recover and reset your passwords. Download the software from here and burn the image to a DVD or USB drive, After booting to the software you can view all the local accounts for your windows 10 as shown below.
Restore Windows 10 To Previous Save – If you use system backup and restore you could restore your system to a state when you remember the password.
Use a Password Reset Disk – At the windows 10 logon screen you can click on reset password, follow the prompts to reset your password. Please note you will have to create a windows 10 password reset disk before you forgot your password.
Renaming Utilman.exe File – By renaming the utilman.exe file it is possible to reset a windows 10 password, Check out this video to see how it is done.
Conclusion and Prevention
It is very easy to recover your password using the methods above. If you have used this guide please let me know how you got on by posting in a comment below.
There are a few things that we can do so if we do forget our windows 10 password we can recover it easy, these are
- Create a windows 10 password recovery disk.
- Create a second user account that has administrator access to your machine. You can then use this second account to reset passwords in the future if needed.
- If you know another way please post about it in the comments section and I will add it here
Questions And Answers
Question : Can I reset a windows 10 password in the computer BIOS
Answer : No, the BIOS is not linked to the operating system in any way
Question : I have tried everything and nothing works
Answer : Post below in a comment what you have done and we will help you out