In this article I will show you how to fix the error DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL tcpip.sys Windows 10. You will see the error when your machine crashes to a blue screen of death and will show one of the following error codes
The file tcpip.sys will show on the windows 10 blue screen of death, Similar to the one in the picture above.
Causes of DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL tcpip.sys Crashes
Many users are suffering from this issue when you are using your machine it randomly crashes to a blue screen of death. You will lose any unsaved work and will have to restart your machine to recover.
The blue screen of death will usually display the error DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or kmode_exception_not_handled, If this is happening to you, don’t worry as this error is easily fixed. The error is caused by your system writing information to a page-able memory IRQL that was to high. Basically your computer just got confused.
We can see in the blue screen of death that the file tcpip.sys caused the crash. This file is used by a network device driver, either this driver has an issue or the file has become corrupted.
Fixing DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL tcpip.sys Windows 10
Now we know what has caused this issue there are three things we can do to resolve this issue. They are
- Upgrade / Replace The Device Driver
- Fix Corrupted Operating System Files
- Remove Virus / Malware
Upgrade / Replace The Device Driver [tcpip.sys on Windows 10]
We have identified that the file tcpip.sys (Used by a network device driver) is causing the crashes and displaying the error code DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL tcpip.sys so we now need to address this device driver.
The first thing we are going to do is update the network device driver that uses the tcpip.sys file, to do this follow these steps
- Click Start type in Device Manager and left click on the device manager application
- Expand Network Adapters and right click on each network device in turn and click properties
- Click on the driver tab and note down what the driver version is.
- Now we need to check if there is an updated driver available. Head over to google and search for an updated driver, So I would search for “Realtak 8812AU Wireless LAN 802.11ac Windows 10 Driver”
- If there is an updated driver version download it and install it.
- Reboot your machine and hopefully the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen of death will now be fixed.
- If you are still having issues go in to device manager and expand network adapters then right click on every device and click on uninstall device, then reboot your system.
- Your network drivers will now automatically re-install.
If your machine is still crashing to the blue screen of death with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL tcpip.sys continue to the next step.
Fix Corrupted Operating System Files
If the above fix did not work for you it is most likely this is because the file tcpip.sys or windows 10 operating system files have become corrupted. Follow these steps
- Click on the start menu and type in command prompt then right click on the application and select run as administrator
- If you get a user account control prompt click yes
- Next in the black window type chkdsk C: /f /r and then hit enter
- You will get prompted “Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?” type Y and hit enter
- Now restart your system and the scan will now check your machine for corrupted files. Expect the scan to take 10 minutes to an hour.
If you are still experiencing issues continue to the next fix
Remove Virus / Malware
The last most likely issue is that your machine has a virus or malware on it. Check the following things.
- First thing to check is if your local anti-virus is up to date.
- Once you have confirmed it is up to date perform a full virus scan of your system.
- Next run an online virus scan by going to this website and run a full scan.
If you do not have any anti virus installed on your machine I recommend you download and install AVGs free virus software.
Conclusion DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL tcpip.sys
The above solutions will work about 99% of the time. If you are still experiencing blue screen of death with the error DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL tcpip.sys on windows 10 please post about it in a comment below detailing what you have done and I will try to help you out.