In this article I will show you how to install microsoft teams on citrix xenapp and xendesktop.
Microsoft teams is not designed to run in non-persistent environments. So if you are using citrix xenapp or xendesktop you will have issues if you install microsoft teams with the default settings.
The issue with the default installer for microsoft teams is that the application runs in the users profile under %users%\appdata\local, so if you are in a non-persistent environment such as citrix the application will get re-installed at every login, Whilst this is not really an issue this will increase the logon time needed for your user (1-2 minutes) and it will also use around 90% CPU for this logon as well.
There is actually a special install of microsoft teams for VDI, where it installs to the local C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Teams location rather than %users%\appdata\local.
How To Install Microsoft Teams On Citrix Xenapp / XenDesktop
To install microsoft teams on citrix follow these steps.
- Download the special citrix install msi from the following link 32-bit Version 64-bit Version
- Save the downloaded msi file to the C:\Temp directory
- Open the command prompt as an administrator
- Run the command msiexec /i C:\temp\Teams_windows_x32.msi /l*v C:\temp\Teams_windows_x64.log ALLUSER=1 (For the 32bit install) or
- Run the command msiexec /i C:\temp\Teams_windows_x64.msi /l*v C:\temp\Teams_windows_x64.log ALLUSER=1 (For the 64bit install)
- The install will now start. The install will create a log file at C:\Temp\Teams_windows_x32.log or C:\Temp\Teams_windows_x64.log
- If you get the following error Installation has failed, this can be ignored, click on close.
- Despite the error microsoft teams does sucesfully install.
- You can now launch microsoft teams via the shortcut on the desktop or in the start menu
Optimization for Microsoft Teams
As with any application on citrix it is important to optimize the application. There is a very good article here on the microsoft website which details what you need to do. I recommend you to do the following
- Make sure your clients use a recommended version of the workspace app as this has optimization for microsoft teams builtin
- Check your Delivery Controllers have the Minimum version of 1906.2
- Can see Citrix HDX Optimized in the microsoft teams application
Cannot install for all users when a VDI environment
I came across the below error when installing microsoft teams
Installation has failed Cannot install for all users when a VDI environment is not detected.
When the application is installed it looks for one of two registry entrys to determine if the machine is in a VDI environment. The registry entry’s are
So if you get this error simply create one of the above registry entrys on your machine
The Specified Account Already Exists
Today I came across another error. Someone had already installed Microsoft Teams on a citrix server but with the user install. I uninstalled the existing install, rebooted the server, then removed the microsoft teams files + registry entrys that it leaves behind. I then reinstalled teams as per the install instructions in this article and boom, I got the below error.
Some how Microsoft Teams has detected that it is already installed and refuses to re-install.
To resolve the specified account already exists when installing microsoft teams follow these steps
- Browse to %localappdata%\Microsoft\ and Delete the Teams folder if it exists
- Browse to C:\Program Files\ and Delete the Teams folder if it exists
- Browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\ and Delete the Teams folder if it exists
- open registry editor and delete the Teams folder if it exists in the following locations
- Delete this entry if it exists [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders\C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Teams Installer]
- Delete this entry if it exists [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders\C:\\Program Files\\Teams Installer]
- Search for Teams in the following folder [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ and remove any teams entry’s found
- Search for Teams in the following folder [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ and remove any teams entry’s found
- Reboot your machine
Try to re-install microsoft teams again using the information in this guide.
If you used the instructions in this post please let me know how you got on by leaving a comment below.