Today I tried to upgrade the VDA agent on my windows 2008 xenapp server and I got the error “Installation of the ICA for Remote Desktop Services Failed with Error 1603” as shown in the screenshot below.
My Windows 2008 Xenapp server developed an issue today where it stopped accepting connections. In an effort to resolve this issue I tried to upgrade the citrix VDA agent to version 7.15.
If you look in the computers eventlog you will see the following
- Event Viewer reports the following errors:
- Source: Msinstaller
- Event ID: 11402
- Product: Citrix HDX TS (retail) — Error 1603. Could not open the key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\citrix\Euem\LoggedEvents.
- System error 5. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.
At the first attempt to run the VDA upgrade I got the above error. After some time googeling I managed to work out how to resolve this issue. I will show you below how I resolved the error.
How to fix the Installation of the ICA for Remote Desktop Services Failed with Error 1603
- Open regedit on your machine and right click on LoggedEvents registry hive located under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\citrix\Euem.
- Select the Permissions tab
- Select the local SYSTEM user group and enable Full Control permissions
- Do the same for the local Administrators user group.
- Permissions should be same as screenshot below
- Click Apply then OK and close down regedit.
- Run the citrix vda setup as an administrator
- Complete the install
- On the finish installation page you should see all green tick boxes.
- Restart your machine