If your machine is crashing to a blue screen of death and displaying the error Kernel Security Check failure then this is the article for you as I will show you how you can easily resolve this issue.
This blue screen of death will randomly appear when you are working on your windows 10 machine and can be very frustrating as it might cause you to lose unsaved work.
The Kernel Security Check failure error usually occurs because there is some sort of issue with one of your device drivers (Usually because they are corrupted or out of date)
How To Fix Kernel Security Check failure Error
The most likely cause of this blue screen of death will be an issue with a device driver. Below I have all the fixes you can try to resolve this issue.
Fix 1 : Update Windows 10 Device Drivers
The first thing we are going to do to is upgrade the device drivers. The driver has most likely become corrupt or has a bug which is causes the crashes. To update your device drivers follow these steps.
- Open up device manager (Click start, type in “Device Manager” and hit enter) Now expand the driver that is causing the issues (Below I am using the network adaptor as the example.)
- Right click on the device and select properties, then click on the driver tab and note down the driver date and version. (We can see below the version is 126.96.36.199)
- Now search on the internet for an updated driver. We are looking for a driver newer than 26/03/2016 or 188.8.131.52. Download that driver and save it to your machine.
- Now head back to device manager and right click on the device and select update driver, Follow the prompts to update.
- Restart your machine after the driver has been updated. Monitor if your machine still has the issue. If your machine still has the System Service Exception error try the next fix.
- I recommend you start by updating the following three drivers, if you are still experiencing crashes after you can try to upgrade other drivers in your system.
Fix 2 : Re-Install Device Driver
- The issue could be caused by a corrupt device driver. We are going to uninstall and reinstall the driver which should resolve this issue.
- Open up device manager (Click start, type in “Device Manager” and hit enter) Now expand the driver that is causing the issues, right click on the device and select “Uninstall Device”
- When the driver has been uninstalled reboot your machine. This will completely remove the driver from your system.
- The driver should auto install when windows 10 has restarted. Go back in to device manager and right click on the device and select update driver, Follow the prompts to update.
Fix 3 : Fix File Corruption On Your Machine
It is possible that either a device driver or a windows 10 operating system file has become corrupt and is causing the Kernel Security Check failure crashes when that file writes data to system memory.
To check your hard drive for errors do the following
- Click Start, type “CMD” then right click on CMD and select run as administrator
- In the black windows that pops up type in “CHKDSK /f /r”
- The scan with either run or you will be prompted to type y then restart your machine
- When the scan is finished restart your machine
Again monitor your system and continue to the next fix if needed.
Fix 4 : Check System For Viruses
Virus’s are also known to cause the Page Fault In Nonpaged Area Blue Screen error in Windows 10. Make sure your anti virus is up to date and perform a full scan of your system.
If you don’t have any anti-virus installed download and install AVG Anti Virus, they have a free virus scanner which is really good (I use it all the time)
You can also perform an online virus scan by visiting this link, The website will scan your local machine and will remove any viruses you might have.
Fix 5 : Install Windows Updates
Microsoft release windows updates once a month (Second Tuesday of the month) make sure you are installing these updates as soon as they are released.
To check for updates click start menu, Click on Settings, Update & security, Click ‘Check for updates’ in the Windows update tab then install. Once the updates are installed restart your machine.