Today I noticed that there was a yourphone.exe process running on my windows 10 machine and my first thought was is this process a virus? So What Is YourPhone.exe Windows 10 & Can You Disable It
Yes it is safe to disable or uninstall it. The YourPhone.exe process is actually an application called Your Phone app that is built in to windows 10 operating system. This process runs in the background on all windows 10 machines. I will show you how to disable this process below.
The screenshot above shows the process that was running on my machine.
What is YourPhone.exe Process in Windows 10
The YourPhone.exe process in windows 10 is actually a built in application in Windows 10. The application is called Your Phone App and you can see more information about this application on the microsoft website here. This application is required for you to be able to sync pictures, contact, data and so on you need to have the same microsoft account on your PC as on the phone.
Is The YourPhone.exe Process a Virus?
No, the YourPhone.exe Process is not a virus, it is actually a Microsoft application that enables you to sync your windows 10 machine with your Android or iOS phone. Anti-virus programs will not detect the process as a virus because it recognises it as a Microsoft application.
How to Disable YourPhone.exe from Running in the Background
If you do not need to sync your phone with your machine you can disable the YourPhone.exe process from running in the background. Doing this will also save you a small amount of system resources.
To disable the YourPhone.exe process from running in the background follow these steps
- Click your start menu and click on settings (Cog looking icon)
- In the windows settings page scroll down and click on Privacy Location, Camera
- In the left hand side menu scroll down and click on Background Apps, Then you can either uncheck the “Let apps run in the background” and this will disable all the apps to run in the background, or you can scroll down to the Your Phone App and uncheck that app.
- Restart your machine
- Check in task manager if the process is still running
How to Uninstall Your Phone App Windows 10
It is possible to uninstall the Your Phone application from your windows 10 machine, But the application will not show as an installed application on your machine in the control panel / apps list.
To uninstall the Your Phone application from windows 10 follow these steps
- Click on the start menu and type in powershell then right click on the application and select Run as administrator
- If you get a prompt from UAC click on YES
- In the blue window copy and paste the command Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.YourPhone -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage and hit enter
- If you do not see any error messages like below this means that the application was sucesfully removed from your system
- Restart your machine
- Check task manager to make sure the YourPhone.exe process is not running
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are the frequently asked questions about this application
How do I get rid of Myphone.EXE?
The best way to get rid of the YourPhone.exe process is to disable the background process by going to windows settings > Privacy > Background Apps, search for yourphone and disable it. You can also uninstall the YourPhone App by opening powershell and running the command Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.YourPhone -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage