Today I went to add an additional driver to my SCCM Boot Image and I received the error Failed To Make A Copy Of Source WIM File Due To Error 2. In this article I will show you how to troubleshoot this error and how to resolve.
The exact error I received when trying to update distribution points was.
Description = “Failed To Make A Copy Of Source WIM File Due To Error 2”;
ErrorCode = 2;
File = “..\\sspbootimagepackage.cpp”;
Line = 5439;
ObjectInfo = “CSspBootImagePackageInst::PreRefreshPkgSrcHook”;
Operation = “ExecMethod”;
ParameterInfo = “SMS_BootImagePackage.PackageID=\”F 00022\””;
ProviderName = “WinMgmt”;
StatusCode = 2147749889;
There were two issues that were causing this error. After fixing the first issue I tried to distribute the boot image and I received a new error.
Failed to make a copy of source WIM file due to error 112, and also failed to inject a configmgr driver into the mounted wim file
How To Fix Failed To Make A Copy Of Source WIM File Due To Error
To fix Failed To Make A Copy Of Source WIM File Due To Error 2 follow these steps
- Check all drives on the local SCCM server to make sure they are not running low on disk space. This was my first issue
- To get more information about the error we need to check a log file, Open the log file C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log with cmtrace.exe
- Take a look at the lines highlighted in red. The main cause of this issue is because of an issue with a network device driver. The error I saw was
- Error DISM DISM Driver Manager: PID=7960 TID=9832 Error, file not found ‘\\sccmserver\Distribution Point\Driver_Import\HP840G2WIN7\network\intel\P00H2CB2\Win7Plus\Win64\Drivers\Win7\Netwsw00.INF’. – CDriverManager::OpenPackageByFile(hr:0x80070002)
- I now know the HP840G2WIN7 network driver is causing the issue. When checking this driver someone had removed the files from the SCCM Distribution Point but hadn’t removed the driver from the SCCM console.
- I removed the HP840G2WIN7 drivers from the sccm console @ \Software Library\Overview\Operating Systems\Driver Packages
- Tried to distribute the boot image again but I still got the Failed to make a copy of source WIM file due to error 112
- Even though we removed the driver it doesn’t remove the driver from the boot image
- To remove the driver from the sccm boot image open the sccm console and go to \Software Library\Overview\Operating Systems\Boot Images
- Right click on the erquire boot image and select properties
- Click on drivers tab
- Highlight the required driver and click X / remove. I knew I needed to remove the Netwsw00.INF driver as identified from the error message above
- Redistribute the boot image again and it should complete successfully
Whilst looking up information about this error I saw that other people had fixed this issue by deleting and re-creating the boot image. This is probably the best / cleanest way to fix this issue.